eRez Imaging Server 3.2.6 – Release Notes
Ease of use
Full text indexing
PDF, EPS and Illustrator files
thousands of new file formats
to Web” function
Smart Phone support – eRez Anywhere
performance and support for very large images
small enhancements and fixes
- Fixed a problem with the Synkron CMS integration and
certain old Internet Explorer 6 version.
- Hidden files such as Mac OS X resource data in ZIP files
are now ignores during uploads.
- Unsupported files that have been uploaded are now properly
deleted from the temporary upload folder.
- Fixed a problem rotating some TIFF files from the web
- Fixed a problem that made uploaded flat 16-bit TIFF files
"white" when converted to 8-bit pyramid TIFF.
- eRez now correctly handles file and folder names with
- The IPTC fields are no longer unnecessarily updated when
uploading images via the web interface.
- Photoshop data such as clipping paths with some special
characters are now handled correctly while the server is running in UTF-8
- eRez now use the temporary upload folderas configured
instead of the Java temp folder.
- The Generic Plug-in now supports XMP metadata and
thumbnails. If a thumbnail image is present it will be used to generate a
preview and the IPTC compatible metadata will be displayed and indexed for
- Added support for ZIP compressed TIFF files created by
- Full support for non-Latin characters and encodings
including Asian characters. IPTC metadata can be stored as Unicode (default
is now UTF-8) and the output from eRez is now encoded according to the
- The character encoding for HTML and XML output can be
controlled by a new “charset” parameter.
- Better support for special characters such as “&” in
folder and file names.
- Improved support for TIFF files with a file size larger
than 2 GB.
- Windows installer now includes an updated version of the
isapi_redirect.dll which doesn’t require IIS to be switched into IIS5
- Added support for reading and writing of IPTC records larger
than 32 Kb.
- Corrected a number of minor issues with Apple’s Safari
- Fixed winding rules for clipping paths, so that all paths
with “holes” are now rendered correctly.
- Fixed a problem with some circular clipping paths not
being rendered correctly.
- Fixed the message being displayed when upload isn’t
allowed so that no “dead links” are displayed.
- Fixed a minor problem with the metadata cache when
multiple shared folders pointed to the same physical directory.
- Avoid using Lucene lock files which could prevent the
server from starting up correctly after a power failure and other abrupt
- The resolution of JPEG files without Adobe Photoshop
information is used.
Changes in version 3.5 since version 3.2.5 as included with eRez 3.1.
FSI Viewer 3.5
- FSI Skins can now contain default parameters for plug-ins
and add-ons, e.g. the skin can specify a default text color for the
- Optimized load sequence for 3D images. The main images is
being displayed as soon as possible and the intro disappears earlier.
- New interface languages including Italian, Romanian,
Russian, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Turkish.
- Configuration parameters can be specified as
"value" attribute or as (new) text nodes. This is required for
text values including line breaks.
- New parameter "CropToViewport" (true/FALSE) to
crop images centred to fill the entire view port.
- New Parameters: ViewerOffsetLeft (Top,Right, Bottom).
- Tiled preview images for very large images larger than
30.000 pixels to prevent display problems at very high magnification.
- Removed a load delay when using InitialView parameter.
- Improved and updated parameter validation in debug mode.
FSI Showcase Add-on 3.5
- Numerous new style parameters.
- Fixed an issue with the thumb bar which did not scroll to
the initial thumbnail.
- New parameter "KeepImageSection" to retain the
selected image section when selecting another image.
- New "EmptyImages" parameter to visually group
- "OffsetBottom" and "OffsetTop"
parameters default to the size and position of the menu bar.
- New parameter "CropThumbnails" (true/FALSE) to
crop thumbnail to fill the entire thumbnail area.
FSI Pages 3.5
- Scrollbar colors can now be defined via
- Fixed a problem with gradients containing numeric colors
like "666666" which resulted in wrong color values.
- New "EmptyImages" parameter to add blank pages.
- New parameter "AutoCropPages" (true/FALSE) to
crop page images to fill the entire page.
- Mouse actions (zoom/pan/rotate) supersede links so that
you can pan/zoom/rotate images with many link areas.
- New parameter "LinkFillAlpha" (default: 0) to
specify semi-transparent link areas.
- Improved debug output for FSI Pages configuration.
- Improved debug output for FSI plug-in configuration
- New plug-in "TextBox" to display a text box with
text related to the image.
- New plug-in "Chapters" to add a select box to
FSI Pages to quickly access section of a catalog.
- New plug-in "LargeToolTips" to display long,
formatted text on links.
- New optional plug-in "Synchronize" to
synchronize multiple FSI Viewer instances.
- Additional parameters for "Magnifier" plug-in
(handle, handlesize, posX, posY).
- New optional templates for "CustomButton"
plug-in to enable templates replacement at runtime.
- Menu bar appears with arrow cursor instead of hand cursor.
- Higher precision in SelectFrame plug-in (prevents 0.9999
issue in the eRez crop tool).
- Improved image quality by means of a new antialias filter
used when down-sampling images and improved algorithms.
- Support for selecting ICC rendering intents during colour
- Faster handling of very large images.
- In-memory Caching of metadata with configurable cache
- A brand new FSI Viewer based cropping tool with zoom,
rotate and the ability to lock the aspect ratio of the selection. No FSI
Viewer license required for use.
- A new function for directly moving images on the server.
- A new function for directly moving folders on the server.
- Real-time templates for internal use (such as “fsi”) can
now be hidden from the user.
- Directories for files and cache use are now automatically
created when a new shared folder is created.
- The hostname and port number are now dynamically set in
case it have not been modified from the Management Console yet.
- The Servers Statistics page no longer counts the number of
images when loaded. Instead a “count images” link is added to the page.
- The selected clipping paths are now displayed in the
- The receiver is now taken to the standard web interface
when clicking on hyperlinks in emails.
- Improved support for exchanging IPTC metadata with
Photoshop for Macintosh and Canto Cumulus.
- Support for Version 4 ICC Profiles.
- Support for TIFF images larger than 2 Giga pixels.
- eRez Anywhere now supports Windows Mobile devices.
- Improved support for files and folders with special
characters including “+” and “%” in the name.
- Name of files in ZIP archives are now limited to 7-bit
- Tested with Java 1.5 (JRE 5.0).
- Support for Apache Tomcat 5.5.
- Support for Oracle application Server 10g
- Improved support for embedding FSI Viewer hot-spots and
other proprietary FSI Viewer data inside custom IPTC fields.
- Support for ImageMagick style “Pyramid TIFF”.
- Support for non-standard TIFF files created by Helios.
- Updated Synkron.web template.
- Evaluation version of FSI Viewer 3.2.6 bundled. FSI Viewer
3.2.6 has the following new features:
Optimized load sequence of images in 3D presentations to display
the main image earlier (* REQUIRES FREE SKIN UPDATE).
New FSI Viewer Parameter: "UISwitchable" to
enable/disable showing/hiding the user interface (* REQUIRES FREE SKIN UPDATE).
New plug-in "SelectFrame" to author FSI hot
spots in FSI Viewer.
New FSI Viewer parameter "ZoomLimit" to specify maximum
magnification in percent of the source image.
New FSI Viewer parameter "ZoomLimitMin" to
specify the min. magnification relative to initial size.
New FSI Viewer Parameter "ExtendedViewport"
(default=false). Extends the view port to enable moving the image more freely.
New template options in CustomButton plug-in to create dynamic
URLs based on the FSI Viewer state.
New button label "print" in CustomButton plug-in.
New plug-in events for Measure and SelectFrame plug-ins that can
be tracked with JSBridge plug-in.
- Display of OPI Image ID’s from TIFF files.
- Improved support for publishing slideshows and showcases
from queries with special characters.
- The secret pass phrase used to generate encrypted source
strings can now be overridden from the Management Console.
- Miscellaneous minor enhancements and bug fixes.
- Discontinued support for Internet Explorer for Mac OS 9 and
Mac OS X.
- An evaluation version of NeptuneLab’s FSI Viewer version
3.1 is now included.
- Status and progress information is now displayed while
uploading new images.
- You can now use “Publish to Web” to publish the results of
queries and the contents of shared folders that would normally require the
user to log on with a name and password.
- The “Hot Folder” mechanism will now place new or modified
files in a 30 second quarantine to make sure that the upload or
modification is completed.
- Improved Microsoft Visual Studio support for the SOAP SDK
- Empty clipping paths no longer leads to error messages.
- Fixed a concurrency issue with the underlying Color
- Other minor improvements and updates.
- Added support for uploading files with special characters
such as the Danish characters ‘ć’, ‘ř’ and ‘ĺ’ from Apple’s Safari browser.
- The “Publish to Web” templates for generating Flash Viewer
and FSI Showcases now use the path “fsi_path” defined in “erez3\WEB-INF\templates\config\fsi.html”
when generating HTML code for external web pages. You must therefore make
sure that this path is defined as an absolute URL such as http://erez3.yawah.com/erez3/fsi/
before generating HTML code for external web pages.
- Corrected a couple of mistakes in the SOAP documentation.
- Fixed a problem that could slow down the server and use
large amount of memory when requesting that a very small area (less than one
pixel) should be scaled up by several hundred percent.
- Improved thread synchronization under extreme load and low
- Improved support for special characters on systems using
- When sending email receipts the “from” address from the
systems settings is now used instead of an email address defined in the
- The queue used for creating previews via Plug-ins is now
stored on disk in case the server is restarted.
- Support for resizing Viewer windows when using Internet
Explorer 6 under Service Pack 2.
- Publish to web no longer displays the FSI viewer and
showcase options when the FSI viewer is disabled.
- Fixed a problem with the search frame using Internet
Explorer under Mac OS X.
- Fixed a problem downloading with Safari using the eRez 1.0
- Added image compression information to the soap/info.xml
- Updated the template for Synkron.web 3.6.
- Experimental: support for selecting rendering intent for
- Experimental: support for reading and writing XMP data via
the SOAP SDK.
The following changes and additions were made in version
- The sorting of images and folders are no longer case
- Hidden previews etc. are no longer included when
calculating the number of images on the server.
- Added new templates for ImageExpress 3.0.
- The correct filename is now used when downloading images
from Cumulus Vault.
This remainder of this document describes the new features
of eRez 3.0.
eRez 3.0 includes a Plug-In
architecture that will allow experienced Java programmers to extend the functionality
of eRez. Functionality can be added in the following areas:
- Support for previewing and/or
rendering new file formats and extraction of searchable text and metadata.
- Responding to “change events”
when new files are placed on the server, modified, deleted etc. eRez will
(optionally) periodically monitor each shared folder and detect any
chance. This is very handy for updating databases, verifying incoming
- Integration with user databases
such as LDAP or AD. This way eRez can verify user names and password
against an existing database.
Shortly after the release of
version 3.0 a Plug-in Software Developer Kit (SDK) with email support will be
available to third party developers for an annual fee.
eRez 3.0 comes with an embedded
high-performance, full-featured text search engine inside the server itself.
The search engine supports search
capabilities very similar to the popular internet search engines that most
people are familiar with and use on a daily basis. The search engine supports
many advanced features such as wildcard, fuzzy and proximity searches with
Boolean operators and grouping.
The eRez Imaging Server will
automatically monitor the shared folders and silently keep the database updated
when new files are added, updated and deleted. So you don’t have to do anything
at all to keep your documents searchable.
You can optionally index the text
from PDF files by installing XPDF which is a freely available open source
You have full control of which
shared folders are monitored and indexed.
Advanced users can modify the
template used to generate the searchable text and in this way customize the
fields being indexed. For instance you can leave out whole or part of the EXIF
Search results are displayed in a
window exactly like when you’re browsing the shared folders. Documents are
sorted by relevance just like the internet search engines and displayed as
multiple pages in case the result won’t fit in a single page.
Both indexing and searching is
very fast and search results are normally returned in less than a second. For
example: indexing 1500 files on our demo server takes less than 2 minutes
including indexing of text from about 200 PDF files. The result is an index
that takes up less than a mega byte and searches are made in a split-second.
As part of the new Plug-In
architecture previously described we have added a new Plug-In for optional
rendering of PDF, EPS and Illustrator files. The Plug-In automatically renders
the 1st page of the file at a configurable resolution like 150 or 300 DPI. This
preview is then stored as a compressed image in a hidden folder and used by
eRez for preview, zooming etc.
NOTE: This option requires a
separate installation of Ghostscript which is a freely available open source
A new “Generic” Plug-in makes it
possible for eRez to handle all kinds of file types. All it takes to add
support for a new file type is the creation of a “preview image” that will be
used for displaying thumbnails and previews and a new entry in a configuration
file with information about name, extension (such as .doc or .ppt) and the mime
type. This plug-In can even extract “IPTC like” information from OLE based
files such as Microsoft Office documents.
In addition to the generic
Plug-in third party developers can of course use the Plug-in SDK to add full
support for new image file formats as necessary.
A brand new “Download Manager”
makes it easy to collect multiple “jobs” and download them as a single file.
Images are converted in the background while the user continues to search for
more images, adds more downloads etc.
The files are zip compressed on
the fly while they are being downloaded.
The well hidden “Make URL”
feature of eRez 2 has been replaced with a brand new “Publish to Web” button in
a more prominent position.
The “Publish to Web” function
completely automates the generation of HTML that can be pasted onto any web
site. You can publish either a single image – or a collection of images such as
the contents of a folder or the result of a search operation.
- Images can be published both as
standard HTML viewers and static images (like Make URL in version 2.0) and
as FSI Viewers (requires a FSI Viewer License).
- The result of a search or the
contents of a folder can be published as a Flash Slideshow or as a FSI
Showcase (requires a FSI Showcase license).
Publishing of folders or search
results is “Live” – meaning that the Slideshow or Showcase on external web
pages will always reflect the images currently in that folder or matching the
Our slogan “Wherever pictures
make a difference” gets a whole new meaning with our new interface for PDA’s
and Smart Phones.
Now images taking op gigabytes on
the server can be browsed and viewed in detail from anywhere using a mobile
phone with a UMTS (3G), GPRS or even a SM internet connection.
The layout is designed for
Motorola A920/A925 (UMTS/GPRS) and Sony Ericsson P800/P900 (GPRS) running Opera
browsers. But like the rest of eRez, the interface can be fully customized and
adjusted for other devices as needed.
eRez 3.0 can now rotate source
TIFF images directly from the “Edit Image” page. This is particularly handy
after uploading JPEG images from a digital camera.
As a result of our work with
satellite images eRez 3.0 has been improved in several areas in order to speed
up access to very large images taking up several gigabytes. These improvements
also speed up the access to images of 100 Mb or less considerably.
to see a 2.6 gigabytes image in action.
eRez 3.0 is preconfigured and
ready to use with the Synkron.web content management system.
Please see http://www.synkron.com to
learn more about Synkron.web.
eRez 3.0 supports access to
images stored in Cumulus Vault folders. Cumulus Vault is a version control
system for Canto Cumulus.
Please see http://www.canto.com to learn
more about Cumulus.
In addition to the above
mentioned new features eRez 3.0 contains many small improvements and bug fixes.